To encourage social inclusion and individual growth, DePaul offers day support services to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in our OPTIONS (Opening People to Individual Opportunities in a Network of Support) day support centers.
A Program Built Around People
OPTIONS day support staff encourages and facilitates participation in individualized activities, ensures safety, and provides needed practical support such as the administration of medication, transportation to community outings, etc. An overall focus on maximizing potential and skill-building is at the core of our day support values. Some specific skills that we support include self-care and hygiene, eating, toileting, task learning, community resource utilization, behavioral, social, as well as opportunities for peer interaction and community integration.
OPTIONS Programs & Activities
Our OPTIONS centers provide an array of programs, activities, and projects that are tailored to the abilities and interests of the participants. Our OPTIONS centers offer:
- Life skills room to learn how to make a bed, iron, hang clothing, vacuum, and operate everyday appliances
- Flower and vegetable gardens
- Game room
- Book club
- Outdoor spaces for walking, relaxing, bird watching, and playing basketball
- Community Engagement activities (when possible): visiting local libraries, volunteering at local churches and Meals on Wheels, touring local museums, going to the movies, having lunch at local restaurants
Day Support Details
- Individuals must be 18 or older to participate in the OPTIONS Day Support Program.
- Individuals must have an ID/DD diagnosis.
- Each center is staffed with a case manager that will ensure all paperwork is current and completed, that the person’s needs are being met, and that there is open communication with caregivers and families.
- Funded through Medicaid Waiver or private pay. The first step to learning more about waivers is to contact your local Community Services Board (CSB) or Behavioral Health Authority (BHA). Click here to find your local CSB/BHA and to request a screening for Developmental Disabilities waivers.
- DePaul operates four day support centers, located in Roanoke, Lynchburg, Madison Heights, and Fishersville.